TaxSaya Support Forum Download Now
October 24, 2014, 09:27:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TaxSaya - A solution for the RAKYAT

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What consititutes a valid receipt when claiming relief  (Read 6375 times)
ironmaiden

« on: April 21, 2008, 06:09:12 PM »

I want to claim relief on books and computer purchased last year.  I was told that I need to be able to produce the receipts to make my claim.  Can the receipt be hand written? Is it ok if the receipt for books only show a total amount?
Thanabalasingam
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 06:19:50 PM »

Tax itself refers to branch of law. Said that, everything is arguable even purchases with hand written receipts.

As much as the IRB can not deny the fact that most of our mamak bookshop down the street still uses a hand written receipt book, one must not abuse this system. It is very easy to pick out fraudulent cases from the repetition,  amounts and in serious cases by referring back to the cash sales ledger itself for the day. Even better, if the IRB does actually question you then just bring them the books. Is most cases this never happens as the amounts are very small to argue on.

So, USE it Don't ABUSE it!

As for the computer only new computer purchases are allowed so even if I was the IRB, NO way can you claim that you don't have a receipt for the purchase of a RM 3,000 item. Don't you care about your warranty?

After all... your tax should be as easy as TaxSaya
ironmaiden

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 08:41:24 AM »

thanks for that.  I manage to track down some receipts.  But I noticed that some of the cash register printed receipts are starting to fade so much so that I can hardly read them. Are they still OK to claim? what you think?

I also 2 child that are attending chinese school and because Govt do not subsidise revision books I have to spend quite a bit on just buying revision books.  Can I also claim on these?
Thanabalasingam
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 08:55:58 AM »

I would think this is an advice to any form of receipts that would fade including the ones printed from the vending machines which use carbonised technology like in fax machines. Retain the original and make photocopies of it.

There has even been cases where people use daily log books to record down things like meals and other minor claims for claiming against the business income which would not have receipts. The act of diligent and proper recording itself helps to substantiate your claim with the IRB. Obviously, there must be a valid story to go behind the claims on why it can be claimed.

Bottom line, be honest to the IRB and you would be surprised how far that would take you.

harry

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 09:18:15 AM »

If my sister pay for my parents medical bill, can i claim it as relief for my tax?

My sister won't file the relief for those bills. But some of the bills, she paid by credit card.

However inside the bills, they only mentioned credit card but not name
Thanabalasingam
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:04:58 AM »

The straight answer is you can only claim for expenses for you have paid.

As such in this case the answer is NO you can't claim the medical bills your sister has paid for.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: